Developmental Disabilities Institute recognizes the need to develop empirically supported practices that may have a significant impact on the individuals it serves. To this end, the Institute encourages and supports basic and applied research. DDI has established the Research Review Committee (RRC) to govern this process.The functions of the RRC are the following:
- Determining whether a proposed research project is approved to be conducted at DDI.
- Developing procedures and protocols that safeguard the rights and privacies of potential and actual research participants at DDI. Research participants are individuals served by or in some way connected to DDI. This includes family and staff.
- Making recommendations that may strengthen research projects.
- Encouraging and providing assistance in the dissemination of results.
- Promoting and facilitating involvement in research by DDI staff.